Contents tagged with bedworth society

  • Bedworth Timeline

    Market Place in 1907. Note J.C. Smiths and the chain fence across the front of the almshouses.

    1086: According to the Domesday Book, the Earl of Mellent, a brother of the Earl of Warwick, held the the Manor of Bedworth. This holding was made up of 60 people, living with no priest or mill, on 720 arable acres for which they had two ploughs. Before the Norman Conquest of 1066 the land was owned by Edwyn, Earl of Mercia.

    1300: Philip de Turville became the second recorded Rector of Bedworth.

    1349: Few inhabitants of the town escaped the Black Death.

    1555: Lawrence Saunders, nephew of John Saunders of that Estate in the manor of Bedworth, was burned at the stake for heresy, in Little Park, … more

  • Monthly Meetings of The Bedworth Society

    Meetings are normally held at the Old Meeting United Reformed Church (opposite Tesco) in the centre of Bedworth.The meetings generally start at 7.30pm and there is usually a small charge for both members of the society and visitors.

    Normal

    0

    false

    false

    false

    MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

    /* Style Definitions */

    table.MsoNormalTable

    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";

    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;

    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;

    mso-style-noshow:yes;

    mso-style-parent:"";

    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;

    mso-para-margin:0cm;

    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;

    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;

    font-size:10.0 … more

  • The Bedworth Heritage Centre

    The Bedworth Society has operated a Heritage Centre within a section of Bedworth’s historic and beautiful Almshouses since 2000. The Centre hosts a wide range of events and exhibitions every year, attracting many regular visitors from the local community, as well as people from around the world.

    The entrance to the Centre is on All Saints Square. This prime town centre location is next to the pedestrianised shopping area and the peaceful landscaped gardens belonging to the Almshouses. 

    Bedworth Heritage Centre is open on market days, Tuesdays and Fridays from 10.30m to 1.00pm and on Saturdays from 10.30am until 3.30pm. 

    Special visits for schools, clubs and societies … more

  • Welcome To The Bedworth Society Web Site

    The Bedworth Society was founded in 1981 to petition for the preservation of the Parsonage, which forms part of the Bedworth Almshouses. The Society became a registered charity in 1997.

    The Bedworth Society was established for the public benefit of an area comprising of Bedworth, Bulkington, Exhall and the parts of Keresley that are not within the Coventry boundary.  The Society is a local civic amenity society, registered with Civic Voice and the Charity Commission (No 1059191).

    The aims of the society are:

    To promote high standards of planning and architecture in or affecting the area.

    To secure the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic … more

  • Who's who in The Bedworth Society

    Chairman: Lynda Burton

    Vice-Chairman: Lynda Greasley

    Secretary: Dennis Baylis

    Treasurer: Keith Knight

    Membership Secretary: Pat Lawlor

    President: John Burton

    Trustees: John Burton, Lynda Burton, Lynda Greasley, Vince Taylor

    Contact us by email: contact@bedworth-society.co.uk more